About the award:
Jeanne C. Mowe was the first Executive Director of the American Association of Tissue Banks. She drafted the first Standards for Tissue Banking and created AATB's accreditation program for tissue banks. She also served on the Surgeon General's Task Force on Organ Donation and on the executive committee of the American Council on Transplantation. After her passing in 2003, Mowe's dedication to AATB through her 20 years of service was memorialized in the Jeanne C. Mowe Distinguished Service Award.
The Jeanne C. Mowe Distinguished Service Award recognizes an individual who has made a significant contribution in tissue banking or transplantation, whether in research, education, or laboratory improvement, or who has served the Association or the field of tissue banking. This individual has demonstrated leadership qualities and a consistent willingness to lend his/her expertise to the Association and his/her peers.
- 2020 — Jeff Orlowski, LifeShare Transplant Donor Services of Oklahoma
- 2019 — Jeff Cox, United Tissue Resources
- 2018 — Bruce Stroever, Retired
- 2017 — Thomas Cycyota, CTBS, AlloSource
- 2016 — Martell K. Winters, Nelson Laboratories, Inc.
- 2015 — George McCann, MD, Life Alaska Donor Services, Inc.
- 2014 — Martha Anderson, Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation
- 2013 — Russell Bierbaum, ReproTech, Ltd.
- 2012 — David W. Gocke, MD, Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation
- 2011 — James H. Forsell, PhD, Tissue Banks International
- 2010 — Perry Lange, LifeNet Health
- 2009 — Glenn E. Greenleaf, LifeCell Corporation
- 2008 — Ronald Plessinger (posthumously)
- 2007 — Margery Moogk, MS, Northwest Tissue Center
- 2006 — Richard J. Kagan, MD, Shriners Hospitals for Children
- 2005 — Michael J. Joyce, MD, The Cleveland Clinic
- 2004 — Helen Leslie-Bottenfield, Consultant and Scott Bottenfield, LifeCell Corporation
- 2003 — Jeanne C. Mowe, Past Executive Director, AATB (posthumously)
- 2002 — Bill Anderson, LifeNet (posthumously)
- 2001 — John F. Burke, MD and Conrado C. Bondoc, MD (posthumously)
- 2000 — Emmanuel K. Tayo, PhD, Past Accreditation Program Manager, AATB (posthumously)
- 1999 — John R. Kateley, PhD, MEDx
- 1998— Donald J. Prolo, MD, Clinical Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University
- 1997 — Samuel H. Doppelt, MD, Cambridge Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 1996 — Gary Friedlaender, MD, Yale University School of Medicine, Dept. of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation
- 1995 — Mary St. J. Douglas, Center for Transfusion and Transplantation Medicine, Naval Medical Research Center
- 1994 — Jerome K. Sherman, PhD, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Dept. of Anatomy
- 1993 — Peter Mazur, PhD, Group Leader, Theoretical and Applied Cryobiology, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- 1992 — Henry J. Mankin, MD, Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- 1991 — Charles R. Baxter, MD, University of Texas Health Science Center
- 1990 — Kenneth W. Sell, MD, PhD, Professor & Chairman, Dept. of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine (posthumously)
- 1989 — C. Everett Koop, MD, Surgeon General of the United States
- 1988 — Marshall R. Urist, MD, Orthopaedic Surgeon/Researcher, Bone Research Laboratory, UCLA School of Medicine
- 1987 — George W. Hyatt, MD, Professor Emeritus, Department of Orthopaedics, Georgetown University School of Medicine